After dropping a few subtle hints via their social media feeds these past few days, Nintendo has dropped a short, approximately 15 minute-long version of one of their fan-favorite 'Nintendo Directs,' which they have dubbed a "Mini" entry. The news contained within was anything but minuscule, however, so let's jump right into the juicy announcements!
- Cult favorite Nintendo DS RPG The World Ends with You is getting a Switch port, dubbed The World Ends with You: Final Remix. It will feature enhanced graphics for the HD era, updated touch and Joycon control schemes, as well as an extra ending scenario. We're not getting a full-blown sequel anytime soon it seems -- but finally, some closure!
- New Pokemon fighters are coming to Pokken Tournament DX for Switch. Aegislash and Blastoise are debuting as playable fighters, while Rayquaza, Mimikyu, Mew, and Celebi will take the stage as support characters. The content is releasing in two waves, with Wave 1 coming January 31, and Wave 2 on March 23.
- More copy abilities have been revealed for Kirby Star Allies, like Spider and Artist. In multiplayer co-op mode, you can share abilities with friends.
- Wii U fan-favorite Hyrule Warriors is coming to the Switch with all of that system's DLC. The game will also feature new outfits for Link and Zelda modeled after their Breath of the Wild appearances. It will launch this Spring.
- Mario Tennis Aces is a brand-new Mario sports experience coming to the Switch, and is the first Mario Tennis title to feature a story mode since the days of the Game Boy Advance. It will be available this Spring.
- NIS is publishing Falcom's YS VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA on the Switch. Let's just hope that it comes with that updated translation patch pre-installed! It will be out this Summer.
- A free update is coming to Super Mario Odyssey, primarily featuring a new minigame known as "Luigi's Balloon World." It takes advantage of the game's online capabilities to allow you to perform a kind of hide-and-seek minigame with other players. You can hide balloons around the game's various stages, and compete with your friend's times to find their own hidden balloons. Also included in the update will be new outfits for Mario and photo mode filters. It will be hitting the airwaves in February.
- In what could very well be the most outta-left-field announcement of the whole lot, a new fighter from SNK known as SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy will be busting onto the Switch. It features popular SNK heroines from accross their various games, and is presented in the popular tag-team format, allowing you two switch between characters on the fly. Incredibly, you are able to fully-customize your character models with accessories, ala Tekken 7. This is something that has to be seen to be believed.
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is adding Donkey Kong as a new playable character via DLC this Spring.
- When multiplayer co-op shooter Payday 2 comes to the Switch on February 27, it will come with a timed exclusive character, Japanese "computer whiz" Joy.
- Two positively beautiful indie platformers are coming to the Switch. Moody 3D platformer Fe by Zoink! will debut on the Switch on February 16. 2D sprite action platformer Celeste by Matt Makes Games will launch on January 25.
- One of the Wii U's best platforming adventures will come to the Switch with a new character in tow. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze will release with Funky Kong, a character who makes the game a bit easier, on May 4.
- Finally, revealed after Nintendo teased it in the absolute cutest of ways, Dark Souls Remastered will hit the Switch. The punishingly-difficult game will feature 1080p resolution for the first time, and most excitingly, allows for the first time a game in the series can be played in a truly portable way. It will release on May 25. Nintendo tweeted out the below image of adorably petite Chibi Robo yesterday, and some astute fans have quickly pieced together what it all meant.
If you are interested in all of the juicy details, and especially if you want to see footage for every single one of the above games in action, I highly recommend giving the most excellent Nintendo Direct Mini a watch below! What is your favorite announcement? Which games will you be picking up? Let us know in the know in the comments section!
Images: Square Enix, Nintendo, SNK